ETTI Board Meeting
April 6, 2018
1:00 PM at Blue Prynt
President – Tom Mrizek
Vice President – Randy Shuker
Secretary Treasurer – Mark Stephan
Ex Officio – Randy Shuker
Attorney – Dee Contreras for G&A
Labor Representative – Dave Swim
Waste Water Treatment Plant Inspection –
Building Permits & Inspection – Donovan Doyon
Construction Inspection – Ken Fellman
Engineering Technicians – Johnny Mangum
County Building Projects & Materials Lab Inspection – Adam Autsen
Code Enforcement – Brian Tischbirek
Call to Order – The meeting was called to order at 1:10 PM by President Mrizek.
Board Members Present – Tom Mrizek, Mark Stephan, Donovan Doyon, Randy Shuker, Johnny Mangum, Ken Fellman, Brian Tischbirek
Reading of the Minutes – The minutes for January 2, 2018 were deferred to the next meeting.
Financial Report – Mark Stephan presented the financial report for March and the total reserves are $319,549; dues were $10,244 and expenses were $8,769. Moved by Johnny Mangum; seconded by Brian Tischbirek to accept the March report; carried.
President’s Report –
1) President Mrizek reported on meetings with County Executive Nav Gill, Supervisor Don Nottoli, Supervisor Patrick Kennedy and Supervisor Susan Peters regarding the use of 71J contracts. He and Donovan Doyen explained ETTI’s concerns and raised the issue of impact on the SCERS fund by hiring outside contractors. He expressed the fact that the County should hire ongoing regular employees whenever possible and not hold back to avoid layoff. While no one likes layoffs having sufficient employees to cover the ongoing work is more important for continuity and quality of work. Nottoli and Nave seemed interested in the suggestion to commit a contribution to SCERS equal to the amount paid for employees to help lower the unfunded liability. Peters discussed the contribution actively and will check with County Counsel on the legality of additional contributions. He will reschedule Supervisor Phil Serna and try to get an appointment with Supervisor Sue Frost. He also told them that he is OK with a two-year contract and 50% of the normal contribution to SCERS. Using employees instead of contract is cheaper, better and with less rework all the time.
2) Annuitants are the second big issue as that County continues to rehire them year after year. That appears to violate PEPRA and if so, could subject both the annuitant and the County to substantial cost as the retirees could be unretired and owe back money received and the County would owe retirement contribution on them. The PEPRA limits are much tighter than historically. Randy will check with the other recognized employee organizations on the problem and Dee will request a letter from Goyette to SCERS reporting the problem.
3) The recognized employee organization meeting on the budget will be 4/18/19 and Randy and Dee will attend.
4) The Sanitation District continues to be a problem on Weingarten rights, no response on the Bogni grievance and due process issues. We will again request an LMC meeting with them on the outstanding issues.
5) The pending ULP which covers the changes ETTI agreed to in the ERO. Tom requested a deadline on the County to get it done.
6) Certificate pay policy is a problem as Human Resources and payroll do not communicate when a certificate is turned for cost reimbursement but is not forwarded to payroll to continue certificate pay. Kelly Phillips resolved it but the policy needs review.
7) The Arbitration Association training in Las Vegas in July and October in Santa Barbara. Board members interested need to let Tom and Mark know.
1) The next negotiations session is 4/11 and Dee will prepare responses for them. She recommended we accept their counter on Union 10, mileage and it was moved by Ken Fellman; seconded by Randy Shuker to TA on the mileage counter; carried. She recommended we agree to County 1, 3 and 4 on address correction in several places in the Memorandum of Understanding. It was moved by Brian Tischbirek; seconded by Randy Shuker to TA on County 1; carried, and then moved by Johnny Mangum; seconded by Ken Fellman to TA on County 3; carried, and moved by Brian Tischbirek; seconded by Johnny Mangum to TA on County 4; carried. Finally, Dee recommended we agree to County 11 to remove the arbitration list and replace it with the use of CMCS. Moved by Randy Shuker; seconded by Brian Tischbirek to TA on County 11; carried.
2) XXXXX grievance was not responded to and will go on the list for the County to take to the Sanitation District LMC. They consider it waived as it was not taken to the next step.
3) XXXXX was told he could not be accommodated any longer due to another injury and ETTI has heard nothing since then, so believe it has been done. Moved by Johnny Mangum; seconded by Randy Shuker to remove him from the list as completed; carried.
Old Business: None
New Business: None
Meeting Adjourned – 2:25 PM
Next meeting – The next meeting to be determined
Minutes prepared by Dee Contreras
Mark Stephan, Secretary-Treasurer