ETTI Board Meeting
June 12, 2018
3:00 PM at DOT, 4100 Traffic Way
President – Tom Mrizek
Vice President – Randy Shuker
Secretary Treasurer – Mark Stephan
Ex Officio – Randy Shuker
Attorney – Dee Contreras for G&A
Labor Representative – Dave Swim
Waste Water Treatment Plant Inspection –
Building Permits & Inspection – Donovan Doyon
Construction Inspection – Ken Fellman
Engineering Technicians – Johnny Mangum
County Building Projects & Materials Lab Inspection – Adam Autsen
Code Enforcement – Brian Tischbirek
Call to Order – The meeting was called to order at 2:40 PM by President Mrizek.
Board Members Present – Tom Mrizek, Mark Stephan, Donovan Doyon, Randy Shuker, Johnny Mangum, Ken Fellman, Adam Autsen
Reading of the Minutes – The minutes for May 1 and May 15, 2018 were deferred to the next meeting.
Financial Report – Mark Stephan presented the financial report for May and the total reserves are $330,905; dues were $15,623 and expenses were $9,504. Moved by Ken Fellman; seconded by Johnny Mangum to accept the May report; carried.
President’s Report –
1) President Mrizek reported on the County response to having 71J contractors pay into SCERS. County Counsel advised that there is no process for doing so. Dee will look into this and have a response prepared.
2) Tom reported that he complained to the County Executive about the extension of a 71J contract as the amount was excessive given prior usage.
3) Tom and Mark reported on two grievances filed regarding the use of retired annuitants in regular jobs over time and the use of 71J contractors while moving regular County employees to other jobs and leaving the contractors in place. Special skills were cited as an explanation but that does not cover the uses. Mark sent a copy of the grievance to the SCERS Executive Officer as they are responsible for monitoring annuitant use also. The attack on use of 71J contracts will continue to be addressed by challenging every opportunity whether it prevails or not.
4) Tom reported that there is still no response to the Sanitation District issues so an LMC will be requested with Vanessa.
5) The negotiations update will occur at the ratification meeting tonight.
6) Concern was expressed by Randy on lack of resolution on the equity issues and Tom stated that ETTI needs to continue working on this after negotiations to get the County to move ahead on problems like the Engineering Techs. It is not worth it to delay the contract for a year or more to resolve that issue at the expense of everyone else but we are committed to working on it. Ken pointed that if the contract is not ratified today the retirement increase will hit on July 1 and employees will see decreases.
7) Tom discussed review of the amount of dues and it was agreed that no increase is warranted.
8) Due to problems in the administration of certificate pay ETTI will request a meeting with Human Resources/Administration on how to handle renewals.
9) Mark reported that PELRA is having a conference in Anaheim on October 8-12, 2018.
Action Items: Moved by Mark Stephan; seconded by Donovan Doyen to accept and recommend the TA with the County dated 6/12/18 and the LOU negotiations on 6/8/18; carried.
2) Moved by Adam Autsen; seconded by Ken Fellman to waive the annual COLA increase to dues and keep them as they are; carried.
Representation: XXX remains out on disability leave. XXX discipline is moving ahead and appealed to arbitration.
Old Business: None
New Business: None
Meeting Adjourned – 3:50 PM
Next meeting – To be determined
Minutes prepared by Dee Contreras
Mark Stephan, Secretary-Treasurer
President Mrizek reviewed the Tentative Agreement Summary and the members present voted 34 to 12 to ratify the contract.