ETTI Board Meeting
August 14, 2018
2:00 PM at Blue Prynt
President – Tom Mrizek
Vice President – Randy Shuker
Secretary Treasurer – Mark Stephan
Ex Officio – Randy Shuker
Attorney – Dee Contreras for G&A
Labor Representative – Dave Swim
Waste Water Treatment Plant Inspection –
Building Permits & Inspection – Donovan Doyon
Construction Inspection – Ken Fellman
Engineering Technicians – Johnny Mangum
County Building Projects & Materials Lab Inspection – Adam Autsen
Code Enforcement – Brian Tischbirek
Call to Order – The meeting was called to order at 2:10 PM by President Mrizek.
Board Members Present – Tom Mrizek, Mark Stephan, Donovan Doyon, Johnny Mangum, Ken Fellman, Adam Autsen
Guest – Robert Armstrong
Reading of the Minutes – Mark Stephan read the minutes for May 1, May 15, and June 12, 2018. Moved by Johnny Mangum; seconded by Donovan Doyon to approve the minutes for May 1, May 15 and June 12, 2018 as read; carried.
Financial Report – Mark Stephan presented the financial report for June and the total reserves are $322,000; dues were $5,300 and expenses were $11,000. After the monthly retainer to Goyette & Associates, the largest items were for picketing at $1,900 and release time reimbursement at $2,900. Moved by Adam Autsen; seconded by Johnny Mangum to approve the May report; carried. He then presented the financial report for July and the total reserves are $326,000; dues were $10,000 and expenses were $9,500. After the monthly retainer to Goyette & Associates, the largest item was for release time reimbursement at $2,800. Moved by Adam Autsen; seconded by Johnny Mangum to approve the July report; carried. Mark presented the Second Quarter Profit and Loss Report and the yearly dues to date were $62,000 with expenses of $60,000 leaving $2000 in savings. Moved by Johnny Mangum; seconded by Donovan Doyon to approve the report; carried.
President’s Report –
1) President Mrizek reported there will be a meeting on the annuitant and 71J contract work with the County on August 28th.
2) An employee raised an issue regarding certificate pay as the Supervisor denied time off to take the test and the employee feels it may be retaliation. There is time to resolve it so no action will be taken at present.
3) There is an issue which arose from the new Memorandum of Understanding language on Plan Check and we are working with the County to resolve it. Technicians in the Sanitation District were getting plan check pay and the new language limiting it to Building Inspectors is an issue. ETTI did not know it existed in SASD.
4) Supervisor Sue Frost wrote and op-ed piece on the Supreme Court ruling in the Janus case and Tom responded to it. She replied she favors employees belonging to Unions but they need to choose it and should do so.
Dee explained SB 866 which puts new requirements on Unions and Employers in responding to the elimination of Agency Fees. Unions will sign up and delete members and notify the County of who the members are.
5) Tom will be meeting with APECS on their stalled negotiations on August 17th.
6) We are still waiting for Labor Relations to move the agreed upon language to settle the outstanding Unfair Labor Practice which occurred during the Code Enforcement move to ETTI.
7) Tom reminded all that PELRA is having a Labor Relations conference in Anaheim on October 8-12, 2018.
8) Tom also reminded the Board that succession planning is the focus from the next year as he will be retiring by February 2020 at the latest.
Action Items: Moved by Donovan Doyon; seconded by Adam Autsen to approve up to $7,500 to schedule a team-building event for the Board.
Representation: 1) Dee represented XXX at a Skelly for termination and asked for any discipline short of termination.
2) The second suspension of XXX for leave without approval was modified to a five-day suspension and the first suspension was rescinded as Dee argued they were all based on the same, continuous facts and issues under FMLA. An appeal has been filed.
3) Dee was contacted by an employee regarding a DUI and she explained the process and possible accommodation. He had notified his supervisor immediately and we have not heard from him since. Mark stated he believes he is working in a non-driving position.
4) XXX is in the process of being retired due to his injuries and filed another Workers Compensation claim on an injury.
Old Business: None
New Business: Tom will be scheduling the Holiday Dinner and will have details at the next meeting.
Meeting Adjourned – 3:48 PM
Next meeting – To be determined
Minutes prepared by Dee Contreras
Mark Stephan, Secretary-Treasurer