ETTI Board Meeting
September 25, 2018
12:00 PM at Blue Prynt
President – Tom Mrizek
Vice President – Randy Shuker
Secretary Treasurer – Mark Stephan
Ex Officio – Randy Shuker
Attorney – Dee Contreras for G&A
Labor Representative – Dave Swim
Waste Water Treatment Plant Inspection –
Building Permits & Inspection – Donovan Doyon
Construction Inspection – Ken Fellman
Engineering Technicians – Johnny Mangum
County Building Projects & Materials Lab Inspection – Adam Autsen
Code Enforcement – Brian Tischbirek
Call to Order – The meeting was called to order at 12:05 PM by President Mrizek.
Board Members Present – Tom Mrizek, Mark Stephan, Donovan Doyon, Johnny Mangum, Ken Fellman, Adam Autsen, Randy Shuker, Brian Tischbirek
Reading of the Minutes – Mark Stephan read the minutes for August 14, 2018. Moved by Donovan Doyen; seconded by Randy Shuker to approve the minutes for August 14, 2018 as read; carried.
Financial Report – Mark Stephan presented the financial report for August and the total reserves are $313,000; dues were $10,000 and expenses were $20,000. After the monthly retainer to Goyette & Associates, the largest item was for a phone at $1500, release time at $2000, and Board staff development at $7800. Moved by Ken Fellman; seconded by Johnny Mangum to approve the August report; carried. Moved by Mark Stephan; seconded by Randy Shuker to approve an additional $300 for costs related to the staff development; carried.
President’s Report –
1) President Mrizek provided an update on the Board team meeting.
2) Tom met with the County on August 28th for the Step 2 grievance on use of annuitants. The Union explained that there are annuitants who have worked for 3 or 4 years doing regular work and not overflow or special projects. The County introduced an LOU from 2009 which accepted the ability to move staff to cover jobs as needed but was developed to avoid layoffs and there were no annuitants working at the time. The meeting on the 71J grievance will be held on 10/3.
3) Tom met with workers at SASD regarding safety questions and no issues were raised.
4) An overtime issues arose regarding payment of travel time at straight time versus overtime when over the shift hours are worked, and the issue was properly resolved and the employee paid.
5) There was a County Joint Labor Health Committee meeting and the plans are unchanged from last year and new rates are increased modestly.
6) There is a reopener on the Technician series salaries and Tom will ask the County to meet as soon a feasible.
Action Items: 1) The Board approved a donation for the headstone for Ken Fellman’s son and it was moved by Randy Shuker; seconded by Donovan Doyen to confirm the donation; carried.
2) An employee who was forced to retire by the County refusal to accommodate long-standing limitations is also being denied industrial disability retirement by SCERS and has appealed the decision. The Board reviewed assisting with the appeal using a Goyette appellate attorney. Moved by Randy Shuker; seconded by Ken Fellman to donate $5000 toward appeal costs; carried.
Representation: 1) Dee reported that the XXX termination was settled with a voluntary resignation and is signed. Employees need to be notified of the GPS data use in this case.
2) XXX is out of Code Enforcement and the discipline is pending arbitration. Dee will request to set it as soon as her calendar clears.
3) XXX is also undergoing potential disability retirement due to injuries and the inability to accommodate his medical restrictions.
Old Business: None
New Business: Tom will be scheduling the Holiday Dinner and will have details at the next meeting.
Meeting Adjourned – 1:15 PM
Next meeting – To be determined
Minutes prepared by Dee Contreras
Mark Stephan, Secretary-Treasurer